Android roars past iPhone in US

The survey found that Android’s share of the smartphone market in the six months ending in August, jumped from 14 percent to 32 percent, while the iPhone dropped from 32 percent to 25 percent. Sales of RIM’s Blackberry dropped from 34 percent to 26 percent.

Android, which trailed the iPhone and Blackberry by several years in coming to the market, still has plenty of work to catch up. Its portion of overall market share jumped from eight percent to 19 percent in August. RIM retained first place, down from 36 percent to 31 percent, while the iPhone dropped one point to 28 percent.

The data reflected the increasing popularity of Android, which powers dozens of different smartphones made by Motorola, HTC, Samsung and LG, which are sold by all the major US carriers.

PC World analyst Tony Bradley said a continuation of the current trend would relegate the iPhone to niche status – similar to that of Apple’s Mac computers. He cited Apple’s tight control over hardware and software and the iPhone’s exclusivity agreement with AT&T as the main reasons for its falling market share.

Spread the word
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Live
  • StumbleUpon
  • TwitThis
  • Reddit
  • Digg
  • Suggest to Techmeme via Twitter

No related posts.

24 comments for “Android roars past iPhone in US

1. December 26, 2010 at 8:23 am

Firstly coming here , your writing is actually worth reading.recommend a books wholesale shop i like.

2. December 27, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Go go go Android!

3. January 25, 2011 at 12:51 am

Wow this is surprising. I guess the Android software is more easily tweaked than OS…

4. Droid
    February 23, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Vote for Android in LinkedIn poll – iPhone is leading at the moment: http://linkd.in/ePYJ59

5. Francios
    February 24, 2011 at 11:17 am

If you want to buy books. i would advise you to go online and search the prices for these books using services like http://www.thecollegetextbooks.net. It is better than going for standalone stores. As you can save on lot of money using them.

6. March 5, 2011 at 8:24 am

Android will dominate the smartphone market this year. Making the switch from an iPhone to a Droid was the best decision I’ve ever made. I had an iPhone for two years. While I loved the iPhone when I had it, I saw what a smartphone was truly capable of when I got a DroidX. I talk about this on my blog… http://www.kempercook.blogspot.com If you are interested in Android, Google or just technology in general you need to check out this blog. Happy reading…

-Kemper Cook

7. March 22, 2011 at 7:16 am

not surprising at all if you have the software made by Google and it’s given for FREE!

8. April 5, 2011 at 2:28 am

I must admit I’m not surprised Android has passed the iPhone. With all of the low cost options out there it makes the iPhone look like an over priced phone. Look at Virgin Mobile, they picked up two low end Android phones and currently sell unlimited data and texts starting at $25 a month(yes we are talking no caps). I talk a little about the Virgin Mobile phones and service on my blog… http://anything-android.blogspot.com/2011/03/low-cost-android-phone-service-virgin.html

9. May 12, 2011 at 12:39 am

I started pondering if My spouse and that i do use that write-up on a world-wide-web web page, Let me hyperlink it once again for your web page also though. If, perhaps that is a predicament please generate me conscious and i should definately get rid of it immediately. I admire the valuable help and steerage you current interior your articles. I can totally guide mark your statement and get my co-workers check-up the after routinely. We are reasonably positive they’ll uncover quite a few of intriguing information appropriate here once compared to just about any person else. Thanks tons with regards to composing this information

10. July 21, 2011 at 6:11 pm

iPhone is gonna have to open up their programming restrictions a little if they want to stay as flexible going forward as Android. Programmers are flocking to Android…fast.

11. srinisha
    August 26, 2011 at 4:41 am

Nice post….

12. September 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm

It’s about time! Android is the best in my opinion!

13. MattRadio
    October 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I just got ride of my iPhone 4, I was pretty glad I did. Switched it up to the droid incredible 2. This phone is awesome, I feel like its much quicker too.

I got it from this site http://bit.ly/n1WAcu , I don’t think they were sold out and there wasnt an end date on the promo on the site. Definetly worth checking out.

14. April 14, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Megabew has developed the first ever Android App, which is a Social & Heyzap integrated Jinxer Game for Unlimited Fun, nothing like it exist, have put in a lot of had work and we are a little team, here is a link to our press release, kindly support us, http://bit.ly/15cLObr

15. July 9, 2013 at 9:13 am

Just Android…

16. July 22, 2013 at 11:32 am

Wow… what a great news for Android lovers!

17. Tulai Paul
    September 21, 2013 at 11:49 am

The battle between iOS and Android remains unending. MS has joined the fray, off late. It is good that the users can exercise their options. an it happen that the mobile will come like an un-formatted computer and the user can apply his own discretion about installing the OS. Perhaps the ad network companies like admob or appnext or inmobi will find a breathing space

18. July 10, 2014 at 7:07 am

Color 々 na Observation Point で ko ko recently で su-personal purposes na ど Full of Cash Flows ッ Shin Glow nn na ど も mainstream で thou ri,Discount Air Jordan 5 Retro Shoes Outlet, Other significant projects さ れ で ko ru ka ー ド Full But ro wrote it because を を Qing utilize less burden expands te su ru method で す と Kei u. If you post a message on Twitter, Bring your mp3 music